Margaret Melinda Williams Purce (Midge) is a highly skilled and professional soccer player who plays for Sky Blue FC in the National Women’s Soccer League(NWSL) in America. She is very daring in her forward and outside midfielder position and made her debut with the Portland Thorns FC.
Margaret Purce – Biography
Midge was born on 18 September, 1995 in a soccer loving family in Washington, D.C. She is the daughter of a former professional soccer player, John (Father) and a physician, Cathy (Mother). She has inherited the love of soccer from her parents and began playing competitively at a young age. She joined a competitive soccer club at the age of nine in the guidance of her father and started to attend high-level tournaments in her homeland Silver Spring, Maryland. Presently, she is 27 years old successful young soccer player.
Early Life and Career
- She attended the McDonogh School in Baltimore, Maryland, where she played soccer since beginning.
- At the age of 12, she was noticed by college scouts and received her first college scholarship offer.
- She was named the Washington Post All-Met Player of the Year in 2012 in her hish school period.
- She led her team to the state championship and was selected as a member of the United States U-17 Women’s National Team in 2012.
- Midge attended the Harvard University and continued to excel on the soccer field.
- She was named Ivy League Player of the Year in 2015 and 2016.
- She received the famous Hermann Trophy and awarded to the best college soccer player in the country in 2016.
- After college, She was drafted by the Portland Thorns in the 2017 NWSL draft. Soon, she achieved to become one of the league’s most dynamic players. She scored 11 goals and recorded three assists in her first season with Sky Blue FC.
- In 2018, she was traded to Sky Blue FC, with whom she has played since.
- Midge has represented the United States on both the U-20 and U-23 national teams throughout her career.
- In 2019, she was named to the NWSL Best XI and earned her first international cap with the USWNT, becoming the first player from Sky Blue FC to do so.
- Midge signed a two year contract extension with Gotham FC in January 2022. Gotham FC head coach Scott Parkinson describes Midge as an “intelligent soccer player that can defend from the front for 90 minutes and is a constant threat when we have the ball.”
Midge Purce – Profile
|Full Name||Margaret Melinda Williams Purce|
|Birth||September 18th, 1995|
|Birth Place||Washington D.C.|
|Alma mater||McDonogh School|
|Height||5 ft 5 in (165 cms)|
|Position||Forward and Midfielder|
|Current Team||Gotham FC|
|Social Media||Instagram, Twitter|
Margaret Purce – Out of Ground
- Purce is known for her speed and athleticism, as well as her ability to create scoring opportunities for herself and her teammates. She is also an active advocate for gender equality, speaking out against pay disparities in sports and advocating for greater opportunities for women in the sport.
- Purce and her teammate Megan Rapinoe met with President Joe Biden and First Lady Jill Biden on the occasion of “Equal Pay Day”. She discussed about gender inequality in sports and appealed to promote gender equality.
Honours and Awards – Margaret Purce
|Ivy League Player of the Year||2016|
|NCAA Elite 89 Award||2016|
|MAC Hermann Trophy Watch List||2017|
|All-Ivy League First Team||2017|
|NWSL Best XI||2019|
Margaret Purce – Lifestyle
As an athlete, her lifestyle consists of a rigorous training and nutrition regimen. She eats a balanced diet and often works with a nutritionist to ensure she is getting the right amount of calories and nutrients to fuel her performance. When she is not playing or training, Purce enjoys spending time with her family, friends, and her dog. She is an avid reader, and loves to explore new places and cultures. She is also a big believer in giving back, and has volunteered with various charities, including the Special Olympics. She also loves to travel, and has visited many countries including Mexico, Costa Rica, and the Dominican Republic.